I have extensive formal training in several disciplines but I have always been drawn to the application of computers to expanding the possibilities of the businesses and projects that I have been involved with.The businesses have included several manufacturers of spectroscopic and chromatographic instrumentation, an agricultural research and consulting firm, and an academic laboratory.
My projects have included:
- Designed and lead the development of application software for multi-input, CCD-equipped spectrometer systems used for emission and Raman spectroscopy. This software was hardware independent and used plug-in modules for computation and I/O. Its adaptability was demonstrated when it was easily extended to support a dual-spectrometer fluorescence instrument that had not been conceived when the software was designed.
- Developed instrument interfaces for the Thermo My Instrumenttm specification. These interfaces included extensions developed by me for operating process control hardware.
- Designed and led the development of the application software an FT/ICP product. The code for the software was approximately 1/8 as large as the code for another ICP product that had similar features.
- Extended a commercial chromatography application to use a 128 channel array detector as an option to the standard single channel detector. The capabilities enabled by the multichannel detector were incorporated with minimal changes to the user interface.
- Developed hardware interface layers for two systems that perform DNA mutation detection by chromatography. I also modified the databases used by these applications to accomodate multichannel detectors.
- Developed embedded software for automatic tuning of the radiofrequency matching networks of ICP torchboxes.
- Modified embedded software to implement a high speed microstepping grating drive.
- Implemented software for imaging optical emission from flames and plasmas, including instrument control and data acquisition, improved algorithms for evaluating the inverted abel integral, and algorithms for plotting contour maps.
- Built a high speed infrared imaging spectrometer. I constructed the collection optics, interface electronics, and software. The instrument was used to measure the spatial distribution of emitting species in pyrotechnic flares.
- Developed programs to perform statistical analysis of data.
- Invented and tested improvements to the modified simplex algorithm for real-time optimization of the operating parameters of computer-controlled instrumentation.
- Developed a linear programming application for least-cost feed formulation. The application included modeling features not available in other software packages.
- Created an application to automate the reporting and billing of results from a commercial laboratory.
- Wrote general ledger accounting software.
- Developed a language similar to FORTH that was useful for programming a minicomputer having limited disk and RAM resources.